Saturday, September 6, 2008

Wondering in the world of technology

I like computers. I use computers. I can operate the programs, and I'm not afraid to do so. Somewhere there is a disconnect between all that and understanding the real workings of the computer and other technology. Maybe it's my age bracket, but all the computer terminology is a bunch of background noise to me.

We've been shopping for a new computer lately. The old one went to meet its maker recently, or at least I wish it was back at DELL. Expensive equipment isn't supposed to just die in 3 1/2 years is it? On what other big ticket item are we supposed to shell out our hard earned cash and expect that it will be all over with in such a short time. Back in the day, it might have been the automobile. If you kept your car for three years that was a long time. Many people bought a new one yearly. Now, most cars aren't even paid off in three years.

Computer shopping left me wondering in this strange land. I'm wondering what is all this gig stuff about, how much do I need, how fast is it going to be etc, etc, etc? The bottom line is that I want something fast and reliable, something that won't explode in a big bang in the near future, and yet I won't be doing any film or music editing for the industry in the near future. Do you have something like that? It seems they do, but it's confusing. Honestly, when I go and look at TVs or computers do you know how I judge them? Strictly by the looks. You make it look good and I will buy it! Which is why I want the iMac. (I think that's the name.)

A few weeks ago my mom and I went shopping for a new flat screen TV for her. Her television from a decade ago or so died and she was watching a little 13 inch screen in her living room and complaining about it ever time I visited her. She did not really want a flat screen. They were just too expensive in her mind, but I persuaded her that they were about all she was going to find, and they weren't as expensive as they used to be.

Off we went to Best Buy. Tim and I had gone about the alien world of TVs a few years ago when the issue was plasma or LCD, their expense and all that jazz. That whole thing was so confusing that we ended up never replacing our broken TV and just using a smaller one in the family room that we already had. So, I knew a bit about TVs from that. I knew which brands I liked. I knew which size would look good and be appropriate for her viewing area. The price was good. The picture was amazing.

Then the sales people walked me over to a TV display wall to show me the benefits of having their service people come out and fine tune the color etc. WOW! it was stunning. Their service people could tone down the pinks, purples or whatever and really make the screen crystal clear. Since my mom was to have the TV delivered that might be a good thing.

Okay, how much will all this cost? So the TV with tax was under $700. Delivery charges and hauling away the old set, $60. Adjusting the set. . . $350, with $50 off if I paid for it upon purchase. I swear my jaw hit the ground. I was flabbergasted. Like I should be thrilled to have $25,000 worth of equipment sitting in mom's house adjusting the color. "Oh, and would you like the service plan, too?"

Uh, no thanks! "We'll take the TV and the delivery. Thank you very much!" I was left wondering, "Can't they make a $700 TV look decent right out of the box with maybe a few adjustments by the homeowner?" It's definitely an alien world out there for a 50+ year old.

1 comment:

TWH said...

So you were just going to let your mom put up with awful pinks and purples..tsk tsk