Thursday, September 4, 2008

Isn't it cute

The first words off his lips were, "Isn't it cute?" Normally, I think of "cute" in terms of puppies, babies, the grandchildren or possibly a kitten. Although the latter thing would never be an utterance made by my husband, ever.

What was so cute? It is difficult to believe that a grown man would gush so over a motorcycle that is only a decade shy of his own age. But there you have it, Tim rolled out of one of our church member's garage on a little motorcycle.

It all began like this. On Sunday Tim came out after church and said, "What would you think if I got another motorcycle? Someone at church has offered me a free one." We've been down this road before. Of course the cycle is not running and hasn't for a least 20 years.

I've learned a few things about old motorcycles from Tim's previous restoration project.
1. Motorcycles that sit too long never are in working order and have a myriad of problems.
2. The motorcycle must be taken apart and spread over the entire shed, garage or whatever and cleaned, repaired, or pieces replaced.
3. While some of this restoration is fun, a lot of it is frustrating.
4. A free motorcycle is never free.
5. Thank heavens for a good motorcycle mechanic friend. (Residing in a different state.)
6. A motorcycle in pieces in a shed is one thing, but in the one-car side of the garage along with a bigger motorcycle friend, the lawn mower, wheelbarrow, work bench, freezer, saw and whatever else is a bit much.

Conclusion: "Why doesn't anyone ever give you a newer motorcycle in good working order? And "No I'm not thrilled about this newest motorcycle, our garage is just too small." I guess I'm ornery that way.

I knew as soon as he came rolling out on that motorcycle and made the cute statement it was all over. The motorcycle now sits where the wheelbarrow used to reside. I'm not sure how convenient it will be to dig out the wheelbarrow from the front of the garage when it comes time to use it.

I wouldn't want this to get back to my dear honey, but "yes" I thought the motorcycle was kind of cute. Now, I think I'll start campaigning for a new puppy. That would be cute for sure.












(Here's a peek at the new baby!)

No comments: