Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Seeing The Future of Shoedom

I've seen the future and it's not pretty. I'm not talking about the future of the country or politics, but the future of... well probably me. A few weeks ago I took my 81 year old mother to the mall. We were shopping for the basic essential element in a woman's wardrobe, a pair of shoes.

Shoes are the most wonderful accessory. No matter your dress size, your jean size, or even your cholesterol number you can almost always find a pair of shoes to fit that you like. I appreciate this fact the older I get. Can't wear that poofy baby doll top? No problem, I can always find a pair of shoes. I could literally get a new pair with every shopping trip, but I don't. I just plain like shoes, and still regret that I did not get those majorette boots when I was a kid. Oh, I did want those.

So there we were at the mall trying to find my mom a pair of shoes. We weren't looking for just anything. We were searching for a pair of dressy shoes for her to wear to my son's wedding. In my naivete I thought this would be an easy task with all those nice flats in style this spring. Think again! Adding to the fact that her feet are swollen, her toes point at odd angles these days, she wants no part of her toes to show, and she's unsteady on her feet this was no easy task.

What has happened to all the nice older women's dress shoes? Back in the day older women had that "look" in shoe styles. Low heel granny tie-ons or nice low pumps with a strap across the top. I can clearly recall my own grandmother with these types of shoes. Absolutely, nothing at the mall that could be called dressy that my mom could wear and walk in with confidence, and not fear falling down. We ended up with a pair of rather casual flats that were made to be worn with slacks with a bit of tooling on the top. That's the best we could do.

So. . .I guess that's the (my) future in shoedom and it's just not pretty!

No comments: